- About Me
copywrite 2014 CarlaP
Aanii, Hello, Bonjour, Tansi, Sago
My English noozwin(name) is Carla and my Anishnawbe noozwin is Nimkiikwe (Thunder-woman). I am an Ojibway Anishnawbe kwe from Atikameksheng Anishnawbek which is located in Northern Ontario, I am from the Elk Dodem (clan) my personal traits reflect what would be considered clan characteristics. My family and extended family are very community orientated and have taught me the values and beliefs I hold today.
I have a great passion for my culture and my personal interests have revolved around self improvement and promoting wellness in all aspects of life with traditional and western knowledge integration though my life experiences. With all of my learning and employment I have gained over the years, individuals have aquired and appreciated the support given as well as new skills learned.
Working with people is what has motivated me to continue what I love to do. I have been learning from ekoomaagenyik ( teachers) , mentors, and self taught for several years with the progression of education, employment and training.
Facilitated Programs and Workshops
- Bundling My Roots Program - Minobimadziwin, September 2015
- Why is Everything so Hard? Understanding Aggression and Anger, Jan 2016
- Historical Information, The Anishnawbek People of Ontario and Canada, Jan 2016
- “Bundling My Roots” Program Retreat December 2015, Killarney
- Healing a Wounded Soul in the Contemporary World, November 16, 2015,
- Bachelor of Honours Indigenous Social Work, Laurentian University
- Sudbury Catholic District School Board, Indigenous Support Worker for Secondary Schools , March 2015
- Ancestral Wisdom in the Contemporary World, World Indigenous Conference on Education 2014, in Honoloulu, Hawaii
- Medicine Wheel teachings at Bishop Alexander Carter C.S.S, Hanmer, Ontario , October, 2014
- Women's Roles and Rights of Passage at Bishop Alexander Carter C.S.S, Hanmer, Ontario , Feb,2015
- Atikameksheng Anishnawbek, Wellness Coordinator, April 2007 - March 2015
Working in wellness I, have learned life is full of challenges and by having the patience to understand that each person comes from a different place or path. In understanding such things, it is recognized that no matter what stage in life we are at, having someone to help is always appreciated. Therefore it can be shared with you today as the reader , in working with people I have created a safe space for individuals.
10 years experience in social services and social work settings, in many areas such as:
Addictions and Mental Illneness
Traditional Health & Wellness
Program Development & Delivery
Policies and Procedures
Family Court Work
Networking with Community Agencies
The Indigenous community has been amazing in terms of personal and professional growth. The experiences, has allowed program coordination, program development, facilitation, clinical counselling, traditional and contemporary practices very enjoyable.
If you would like to know more please do not hesitate to contact me firstname.lastname@example.org, or text 705-988-6377
RESPECT, HONESTY, TRUTH, WISDOM, HUMILITY, BRAVERY, LOVE